Friday, May 30, 2008

THE GREAT DRUG RAID EXPLAINED

The excitement for the week at our house was, of course, the great drug raid I wrote about yesterday. Not willing to just let it go without finding out why we were targeted, I spent part of my day tracking it down. All I really had to go on was the last name of one of the raiders – an odd name that my wife remembered.

Ultimately I wound up at the highway patrol headquarters where the name rang a bell. The desk staff was very cooperative and tried to track the trooper down, but was only able to leave a message for him to call me. This morning he did.

It turns out that they raided us because the DEA had given them our address and my name as a purchaser of something from a website called Discount Garden Supply.com. Their success rate in following up on purchases from that site is 90%, so they came to our door sure that they would find something.

This did not occur, by the way, just because I visited the site. It came because I purchased something; probably a little bottle of fertilizer I used on my tomatoes for the last couple of years.

The trooper I talked to assured me that, having visited our home and found it clean, they have taken our name off the list.

So the upshot of it all is that our homegrown drug bust was the product of good and careful law enforcement.

Of course, I think spending our law enforcement dollars on trying to catch people growing marijuana in their basements is a complete waste of time, money and effort, but at least there was nothing sinister in this attempt. We just got Barney Fifed, that’s all.

Now if we could just get all the efforts concentrated on real evils like crack, crank and meth instead of the truly harmless MJ, it would make some sense.

Next week maybe we can get back to some more serious business. There has been plenty of it lately what with the past presidential press secretary opening up and a few subpoenas flying around the hill with names on them like Rove and other administration insiders. It’s about time. Soon we’ll see if it’s serious or just more posturing.


Be the change you wish to see in the world. -- M. K. Gandhi


Individually we have little voice. Collectively we cannot be ignored.
But in silence we surrender our power. Yours in Peace -- BR

The reason for going was to keep the crude flowing and raise a false flag abroad. – from a poem by Jack Evans titled 3500 Souls - http://www.myspace.com/paralegal_eagle

No comments: